Thursday, January 29, 2009

Dorian Gray: Chap 4

Definitions:
1) aphorisms- a tersely phrased statement of a truth or opinion; a brief statement of a principle. (dictionary.com)
"That is one of your aphorisms" (Wilde 51).

2) munificent-extremely liberal in giving; very generous. (dictionary.com)
"When he saw me he made me a low bow, and assured me that I was a munificent patron of art" (57).

Quote: "I believe I can't help telling you things. You have such a curious influence over me. If I ever did a crime, I would come and confess it to you. You would understand me" (56).

Explanation- Dorian believes now that whenever he has a problem or has a great experience in his life. The only one who can fully comprehend his feelings is Lord Henry. Dorian believes that some force is making him want to tell Lord Henry. But what he doesn't know or yet realize is the Harry has been manipulating him from the start. It is not him wanting to tell Harry his desires. It is really Harry, forcing young Dorian to reveal every aspects of his life to Harry.

Quote: "Perhaps you had better write to him. I don't want to see him alone. He says things that annoy me. He gives me good advice" (60).

Explanation- Dorian is trying to say that he doesn't want to be with Basil without Harry there because Basil allegedly gives him good advice. This alludes to the part when Basil warned Dorian that Harry was a bad influence. But now that Dorian has fallen under Harry's spell. He craves the bad advice; he can not live without it. And he does not want Basil to now try to talk some sense into him or risk losing Lord Henry for good.

No comments: