Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Essential Question 10

"I resolved in the depth of my heart that I would be most moderate: most correct; and, having reflected a few minutes in order to arrange coherently what I had to say, I told her all the story of my sad childhood. Exhausted by emotion, my language was more subdued than it generally was when it developed that sad theme . . . I felt as I went on that Miss Temple fully believed me" (67-68).

Jane seemed to pause for a moment probably thinking of how to tell her story and her experiences. She told her story in great detail and seemed exhausted afterwards. Through her vivid imagery the story she told seemed sad. It must have taken a lot of courage to retell her story. The story felt to longwinded and detailed for her to have made on the spot. All the events she spoke of seemed to flow and held some basis for the rest of the story. Everything was seemingly believable nothing felt long winded or over exaggerated. There must be some merit to Jane's story.

Through third person we cannot get Jane's thoughts about her story. Only from context clues and our own judgment can we decipher if there really is some truth behind her story.

No comments: